General Anime/Manga

Talk about anything regarding non-gaming related topics: films, books, music, pop culture, whatever!
Decade

Alpha Metroid

General Anime/Manga

Postby Decade » 04.13.10 11:46am

What do you guy's watch/read? I'm going through GiTS 2nd Gig and GaoGaiGar ATM. I'm reading Ah/Oh My Goddess and Pokemon Adventure/Special.

also if you dont know about it here are some links to get started.

http://www.onemanga.com/

http://www.mangafox.com/

http://www.animea.net/

those are all good places.

for watching anime online i don't have a recommend site but you could always [spoiler]torrent[/spoiler]

IMB706

Omega Metroid

Re: General Anime/Manga

Postby IMB706 » 04.13.10 12:03pm

I don't like anime myself.

Decade

Alpha Metroid

Postby Decade » 04.13.10 12:11pm

IMB706 wrote:I don't like anime myself.

Why not? Just japanese cartoons.

IMB706

Omega Metroid

Postby IMB706 » 04.13.10 12:51pm

They look and sound silly. Don't care for them myself.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 04.13.10 12:53pm

IMB706 wrote:They look and sound silly. Don't care for them myself.

Sounds like you haven't seen the right shows... -_-;
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

IMB706

Omega Metroid

Postby IMB706 » 04.13.10 12:55pm

How so XD?

Decade

Alpha Metroid

Postby Decade » 04.13.10 1:34pm

IMB706 wrote:How so XD?

Well most people want you to get into stuff like Bleach, Naruto and Code Greass(sp) those are the shows that give anime a bad name.

Try Mobile Suit Gundam (any of the series) or Ghost in the Shell SAC. Those are good places to start, but if you don't like it you can say you tried some.

IMB706

Omega Metroid

Postby IMB706 » 04.13.10 1:36pm

Bleach

Damn, humanity is running out of names now.

Sub-zero

Metroid Queen

Postby Sub-zero » 04.13.10 1:37pm

IMB706 wrote:I don't like anime myself.

I found a reasonable soul on this forum! :D
I know how to spell GENIOUS nowbaremyarcticblast
Adam Malkovich authorises you to play your copy of Metroid Prime.

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 04.13.10 3:01pm

Right now, I am watching the sub of Studio Bones' Soul Eater.

Have to say, the a animation is fantastic, as is the cool and distinct art style/character design, and for being an action series, the action is REALLY well-done and oozing with cool (perfect for a 'cool guy', the titular Soul).

I'd recommend it if only for the opportunity of recommending Shonen done right. Of course, there is that Japanese nose-bleed type of humor etc. present, but the action REALLY makes up for it.

Besides, its Bones, the guys behind SO many other good series, so you know you're getting quality.

Also, I am watching the new episodes of FMA Brotherhood as they come out, and man, they are pretty damn fantastic. My older bro makes fun of me for watching the dub as opposed to the sub, but I honestly prefer to watch anything in English first and foremost, unless the English sucks (looking at you, Soul Eater.)

After I'm done with Soul Eater, I'm moving on to Eureka 7, also a Bones production, because the art looks cool and I hear good things from friends. Plus, the entire series is up for free on crunchyroll, so power to me!

I don't read a lot of manga (the last series I read were Evangelion [which I did not finish] and the Death Note manga [better than the anime]), but my favorite anime are:

Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop (well duh)
Ergo Proxy (I REALLY wish the whole series was still up on youtube... this was an amazing ride)
Black Lagoon (watch this entire series on youtube before they get rid of it, if they haven't already... Like GitS, a truly adult anime)

I've watched plenty of others, but i don't wanna give the appearance of rambling (too late).

Watch out for mangafox, though. Sometimes there is some nasty malware that floats around on that site, as my sister learned the hard way.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 04.13.10 3:36pm

there is NOTHING wrong with Naruto! :evil:
its actually a good show. You need to stop watching the american crap dub. The later shows are really good.
Lots of action, intense moments, friendship, life lessons. There is a lot that show has to offer!

VGM out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

sharonlover

MDB Staff - Social Media Editor

Postby sharonlover » 04.13.10 3:44pm

VGMStudios wrote:there is NOTHING wrong with Naruto! :evil:
VGM out...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

naruto use to be good and in some cases still is; however, if you watch the anime, getting through the years of fillers is just too bothersome. Once the anime finishes or the manga, I will go back and read/watch it (skipping the fillers in the anime that I dread so much *except for the laughing shino episode).

I finished Toradora a few months ago, awesome drama/slice of life high school romance comedy (yes all of that in one). A little behind on Full Metal Alchemist anime (up to date on the manga). and will be starting Bubblegum Crisis 2040 next week with some friends (one of my favorites).

Manga wise, I'd throw in Kissxsis which is an ecchi type manga but very fun to read.
"Life is war, humans are the casualty"
-Matthew L. Sharpe-

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 04.13.10 3:48pm

no no your right. i will agree that the beginning of Naruto was just your typical anime but Naruto Shippuuden is something different and a lot better!

has anyone watched Foolie Coolie or RahXephon?

VGM out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 04.13.10 3:52pm

FLCL is a divisive issue.
I really love the short series, while other people I've talked to (including my brother) think it a broken mess of cut corners. Be careful with that Gainax kinda stuff.

With each remake of Evangelion, I come to hate the series a little bit more.

Again, I'd recommend looking into Bones' repertoire. It's really just about all good stuff.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

Outlaw

Anonymous

Postby Outlaw » 04.13.10 4:12pm

I don't watch much Anime, but I do agree any of the Mobile Suit Gundam series are good.

As for Naruto, at first I thought it was ok, but now.. I don't know I just don't like it.

I haven't watched anime in a long time. But one of my favorites is Yu Yu Hakusho, I watched the entire series on youtube a year ago.

But just last night I watched a show called, "Monster" on Sci-Fi SyFy, mainly because Kyle Hebert (voice of DBZ Narrator) voiced in one of the newest episodes. He was a lawyer. "Monster" seems interesting, I might give it a shot.

Return to “%s” General Discussions