So I dug out my SNES and ran through Super Metroid again...

Discuss anything related to Classic (2D) Metroid games here!

Moderator: Moderators

ChaosWolf

Alpha Metroid

Re: So I dug out my SNES and ran through Super Metroid again...

Postby ChaosWolf » 04.14.10 1:03pm

Schrau wrote:Simple reminders will help you enjoy an old game better than mindlessly following a walkthrough will.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not blindly following, just checking one now and then to see what I might've missed.
Emperor Ing wrote:Yeah the Space Pirates and their intricate system of tube-mazes and easily-breakable Metroid containers strike fear in the hearts of the galaxy.

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 04.14.10 3:16pm

I just completed an awful speed run yesterday.
time 1:22 (my best is 1:12)

I was trying to do too many tricks, like shine sparking my way into the wrecked ship, after two or tree failed attempts I just kept going. If I would have rest, I could have done a little better. Killing Ridley with 4 e tanks was a bit harder than I remembered. still fun though, my biggest disappointment was that i forgot how many missiles it took to kill the first form of Mother. since i had not saved after killing Ridley, I killed him again, and procured 10 more missiles on my way to MB. 95 missiles will do the trick -_-;
Those who follow rules, have failed to follow their hearts.-Me
-I often find it easier to find truth in the dark. Where others failed to see, or are afraid to look.

Balkoth

Omega Metroid

Postby Balkoth » 04.14.10 6:10pm

You all make me feel like such a noob. :(

You beat Ridley with FOUR energy tanks?
When somebody tells me he doesn't believe in violence, I punch him in the face to inform him of its existence.

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 04.14.10 6:34pm

yep it can be done. I have had allot of practice at super metroid, try looking at some non tool-assisted speed runs. There are people better than me at the game. I would not feel bad. Super metroid is still a challenging game! I have let friends borrow a spare copy i have and they gave up all of them the did not even get to phantoon! If you have beat it then you should be proud of yourself. On top of all that Ridley is really hard! I could not tell you how many times I died the first time I got to him, it was total frustration >_<

If your not doing a speed run something that helps is power bombs. Use one when you enter the room before he appears, it will still hurt him. Also charged shots and screw attack, and stay to the left of the room when he is tail bouncing, he cant hit you+you can just kneel there and pump super missiles in him.

I have been playing super since I was 10. I did not beat it till I was 11.
-I often find it easier to find truth in the dark. Where others failed to see, or are afraid to look.

Balkoth

Omega Metroid

Postby Balkoth » 04.14.10 8:10pm

Ahh. I have Super Metroid on Wii Virtual Console.

Is the Classic Controller better for Super Metroid than the GC pad?
When somebody tells me he doesn't believe in violence, I punch him in the face to inform him of its existence.

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 04.14.10 8:46pm

yeah absolutely! Either the new classic controller or the old one would work just fine. I also change button configurations. :cool:

Schrau

Gamma Metroid

Postby Schrau » 04.15.10 2:05am

The original CC is terrible.

Grab a Pro, if you can. It's a much better controller.

Balkoth

Omega Metroid

Postby Balkoth » 04.15.10 1:33pm

Thanks. Just beat Super Metroid for the first time in a while today.
Did horrible! 4:33 and 83%. xD
Meh, I had fun. That's what matters. :)

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 04.15.10 8:17pm

I will never get tired of playing the game. I have often wished for some kind of memory lapse that would make me forget everything other than its existence, so that I could play it fresh again...I never seem to forget any of the item placements or anything. I have completely committed to memory I guess. <3

Thunderchin

Kraid

Postby Thunderchin » 04.19.10 4:06pm

I originally took 11:42 to get 100%, but I began about 2.5 years ago and ended about six months ago, when I finally completed it. I have beaten it about a gajillion times since that, with my fastest time being 4:35 @ 100%.
SUPER METROID ROCKS!!!!! I still, to this day, after a year of probing around, have trouble finding people who truly appreciate a game of this caliber. So far, only three people I know have ever played it and enjoyed it. Two more hated it, and the rest flatly refused to play when they saw that it was a "classic" game. WTF?!?!
Despite the fact that it's older than me by about four months, it's still not da bomb...it's da power bomb.
Super Metrodi is truly a perfect game in all respects.
Samus Aran wrote:Chozo Ice Beam acquired, extinguish a Girl on Fire!

Thunderchin

Kraid

Postby Thunderchin » 04.19.10 4:08pm

Balkoth wrote: Is the Classic Controller better for Super Metroid than the GC pad?

Yes.
Samus Aran wrote:Chozo Ice Beam acquired, extinguish a Girl on Fire!

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 04.19.10 8:00pm

I believe Truly hardcore gamers appreciate it...People do because it is on almost every top ten best games of all time list I have ever seen. I think People that are new to it are just put off because they maybe cant get around an older game being so challenging. Even veterans can slip up and die every now and then! I don't mind when i do, just means I get to appreciate the cool death animation <3

Lazarius

Super Metroid

Postby Lazarius » 04.20.10 2:27am

Lucid Flower wrote:Truly hardcore gamers appreciate it...

Nice little "Enjoy this game, or you aren't hardcore!" thing there.
sharonlover wrote:back on topic, take your bondage discussion to pm please

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 04.20.10 11:17am

Ehhh...I don't even consider myself very hardcore....What I meant was the people who have made games their primary hobby/lifestyle/whatever you want to call it. The people who play every kind of game (within reason)

On another note please don't be mean I meant no disrespect of anyone. Text cannot properly display all of my emotions when I think or say anything...it is not fair to put words in my mouth.

-"Enjoy this game, or you aren't hardcore!"- Not my words :roll:

I honestly could care less if anyone ever enjoys this game, but I'm happy I did.

Dena

Metroid

Postby Dena » 05.31.10 6:00pm

My best 100% run on SM I did it last year, just before my 15% run, was 1h57 and still saved:p
I don't intend beating really soon, but I will someday!
Regret is the only true sin. (Don't remember where I heard that =D)

PreviousNext

Return to Metroid Classic