Super Smash Bros. for Switch confirmed at the very end. Watch the rest for all the other announcements!
Hey everyone! It’s MARCH MADNESS! Starting today all through this month, you can use the discount code MORPHBALL to get 20% off you order through our store. We’re doing this as both a thank you to our followers and celebrating the 24th anniversary of Super Metroid which is the 19th. Enjoy!
Once Upon A Tee: Metroid Designs
It’s that time again! Four, ultra-cool Metroid-inspired tshirts are available from Once Upon A Tee. Choose one for $13, or get all four designs for $11 each. OUAT offers excellent quality clothing and accessories and comes highly recommended. The designs will become unavailable next Monday, Feb. 5, so order before they’re gone!
We’d like to remind you to be sure that you’re clicking through the images below in order for us to get a commission on the sale. Your purchases from Once Upon A Tee, and our store directly helps our website thrive and we thank you for it!
Each Tshirt is only $13!
Or get all 4 designs for $44!
Fan creates real life robotic arm cannon
We don’t share too much fanart here on the main site, but this was too good to pass up.
Troy Powers (yep, that’s his real name!) has created what he believes to be the first and most complex Power Suit arm cannon ever made. Weighing in at 8 lbs., The arm cannon is fully robotic; meaning there are actual servos and computer tech attached to the four “missile” hatches that open up, and work via buttons activated on the inside. He explains all of it in the video below.
The result is definitely a sight to behold. Troy assures us that he’s not done with this prototype, and plans on enhancing it more by adding sound and lighting effects. Good luck Troy, and keep us updated! Maybe at some point you can create Wave Beam tech!
Interview with Jack Mathews
Shinesparkers has just released their exclusive interview with Jack Mathews, one of the Lead Technical Engineers for the entire Prime series. Jack reveals a lot of internal secrets during the games’ developments. He discusses his proudest environment in the series’ history (I bet you can guess!), his distaste for MP2’s multiplayer, as well as the game’s downfalls, and even his feelings when Prime 4 was first announced. There’s also plenty more juicy bits about the games’ mostly undocumented and secret dev history that any fan of the games will appreciate.
Don’t miss this great interview over at Shinesparkers.net.
Happy 2018 from Metroid Database
Happy new year everyone~! 2017 was a fantastic year for our site, as we had this awesome overhaul and all our success on social media. The #Memetroid Contest is also off to a great start – we’ve had a bunch of submissions so far and will be sharing them regularly with y’all as the weeks go by. Check them all out on our social media pages or simply search for the hashtag #memetroid to see the entries thus far. Don’t forget you have until the 27th of this month to get those entries in. The sooner the better, because you’ll be increasing your chances of having others vote on your meme.
Here’s a few things in the works:
- New Forum: We are going to improve the MDb Message Board. This includes creating a brand new theme for the whole thing and getting everything working. In its current state it’s quite limited, so we apologize for its lacking of standard features. We hope you’ll be patient with us while we get that ready.
- Comics & Manga: Lots of people have been wondering where it went. Well it’s coming back but we need to make sure it will be in a format that is good enough for everyone. Our old reader was quite antequated so we’re trying to improve it considerably. Don’t forget we also have to develop for mobile site now so it’s a big job that ain’t gonna happen overnight.
- Music: Most of our music is available within the individual game sections. If you want to download an individual track, simply Right Click, Save Link As… We know you want the entire albums to download as a single .zip file and we’re definitely going to bring those back later in the year.
- Features: Finally, our features, which includes over 40 individual articles from us are coming back, but again, we are developing a new format for these pages so they can be easily and comfortably read. It’s not just a simple copy-paste job; each article will have to be hand-entered into our CMS. The Metroid Database is run by a very small staff exclusively in our spare time, so thanks for sticking with us and understanding that we aren’t married to this site. We all have lives outside of the MDb – we’ll definitely be back to our former glory in the coming months.
Looking forward to what 2018 brings!
Happy Holidays from Metroid Database
Merry Christmas or whatever winter holiday you may or may not celebrate this time of year. We have a lot to cover, so buckle up, buckaroos.
The MDb Bestiary is one of those massive features our site has that took a bit longer than expected and wasn’t available at launch. After some some re-implementation and more tweaks here and there, we now have Bestiary 2.0 available for your perusal. While the overall look and functionality is basically the same, I hope you guys enjoy it just as much as you did before. You can also access it by clicking on the icon in the far upper right corner of the site.
Second – New Contest.
The #Memetroid Contest was the brilliant idea of our Twitter Editor, Sagi. He wanted to create a contest where we could fully unleash everyone’s dank meme skills. Now it’s time to put those skills to the test. Please go to our contest page to see what the #Memetroid Contest is all about and try to win our awesome prizes!
Our store is now offering prints of “The Hunted”, a 12×16 poster print made on thick matte stock paper, that is surely to complement any Metroid fan’s wall. The prints are limited edition, as I only had 50 made, and are individually numbered. The artwork was drawn via commission by Manos Lagouvardos (aka Smolb), one of our talented Bestiary artists, who also happens to be a professional comic artist in Greece. We thank Manos for his talent and his contributions. We hope you can appreciate this print as much as we do. I will actually be rather sad to let them all go. They are really beautiful prints.
Last – Decal Discounts.
Also pertaining to our store: From Christmas until New Year’s, we are offering our Decals at a low low price of $1 each. This price is good through the last minute of December 31. Thank you all and for any purchases made through our store. Your contributions directly help and allow us to offer you more goodies!
We are so happy to be stewards to the Metroid community at large and don’t take any of it for granted. You have stuck with us for 21 years and we’re so grateful to be a part of it all!
On behalf of the rest of the staff of Metroid Database, we wish you and your loved ones a very happy holiday season.
Metroid Samus Returns Wins Best Handheld Game at The Game Awards
With a stunning lack of any fanfare or celebration, and not even announced during the actual presentation of the show itself, Metroid Samus Returns won the “Best Handheld Game” category at this year’s The Game Awards. It was up against 4 other Nintendo 3DS games, which were all published by Nintendo, but developed by other companies.
The nominees were:
- Metroid Samus Returns – by MercurySteam
- Poochy and Yoshi’s Woolly World – by Good-Feel
- Monster Hunter Stories – by Marvelous
- Ever Oasis – by Grezzo
- Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia – by Intelligent Systems
On behalf of the rest of the staff of Metroid Database, congratulations to MercurySteam, as well as series producer Yoshio Sakamoto, for making one of the best Metroid games ever!
MDb Store: Feedback Wanted
If you’ve made a purchase from our store, we greatly value and appreciate your feedback! Please simply go to your Storenvy account, click your profile icon in the upper right corner, and click “Orders.” Find your order with us and click the big green “Rate your order” button. You’ll then have to fill out 3 simple feedback ratings. You can also leave a note for us if you’d like. Thanks in advance and we look forward to hearing from you!