If you follow our site closely, you may remember back in August of last year we covered a new type of ROMhack/mod for the original NEStroid – in the form of Metroid HD. This is a special mod that requires a certain emulator called Mesen, which allows you to do a whole slew of things to old NES games, such as re-skin all the graphics to make them “non-8-bit.”
Mod maker Aclectico has recently updated his mod. He’s even created a new trailer for it! As seen below:
Here’s a list of some of the things that have been updated in this version:
- New pre-assembled zip files for custom graphics and sound
- Overhauled running and jumping animations (5 frames are now used for running)
- A small and secret room is now located in Brinstar
- The “minimap” is now an “automap”
- The download bundle now includes pre-assembled zip files for alternate templated graphics.
Check out the game yourself by downloading the patch here: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=26811.0
Note: Metroid Database will not provide ROMs or assist with game patching or emulation. You’re on your own. Good luck!