Too much negativity. >:(

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Too much negativity. >:(

Postby Infinity's End » 09.13.10 1:44pm

It's gone on long enough, and I'm sick of it. I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say some of you need to get it together. You're scaring off other people and some vets. Other M is finished, it's out, and there's nothing - NOTHING - we can do about it. It's making a shitton of money for Nintendo and afaic, that's all that matters.

This is an effort to curb some of the more overt negativity and pessimism that's been brewing around in this forum, specifically in regards to Other M.

If you feel someone on the forum is being overly negative, unappreciative, pessimistic, or just generally making angry posts about Other M in an unrelenting, obsessive manner, DO NOT HESISTATE to click the "Report" button on them. There should be one in the bottom-right corner of every post:

I also ask that you back up why you're making the report with some substantial evidence or else it will go unnoticed.

In closing, please do NOT overuse this report feature. I am asking for your help, but I don't want it to get out of control. Use your best judgement. I leave it in your hands.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Opium

Zeta Metroid

Re: Too much negativity. >:(

Postby Opium » 09.13.10 1:54pm

While I understand that anyone who repeatedly says a negative message over and over makes the forum less fun, I believe that there is major bias given the subject at hand here. I was basically attacked after making my FIRST POST which complained about Other M, so the problem here isn't that people keep complaining incessantly, it's that they're complaining at all. I don't like the game, and it doesn't make sense to label that as somehow blasphemous when there are plenty of people in here who have complained about alot of other metroid games because they don't like them. Other M is new so of course the complaints about it are going to be more frequent than posts which bitch about fusion or super. You know darn well that people are going to 'report' people simply because they don't agree with what they're saying. A negative opinion about Other M is no more or less valid than a positive one. If you want to run the forum like some kind of police state where people can't think for themselves then good luck with that.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 09.13.10 2:01pm

While I understand that anyone who repeatedly says a negative message over and over makes the forum less fun, I believe that there is major bias given the subject at hand here. I was basically attacked after making my FIRST POST which complained about Other M, so the problem here isn't that people keep complaining incessantly, it's that they're complaining at all. I don't like the game, and it doesn't make sense to label that as somehow blasphemous when there are plenty of people in here who have complained about alot of other metroid games because they don't like them. Other M is new so of course the complaints about it are going to be more frequent than posts which bitch about fusion or super. You know darn well that people are going to 'report' people simply because they don't agree with what they're saying. A negative opinion about Other M is no more or less valid than a positive one. If you want to run the forum like some kind of police state where people can't think for themselves then good luck with that.
And of course I wouldn't doubt for a second that you would misunderstand, misconstrue, and jump to false conclusions of what I'm trying to accomplish. :roll:

Opium

Zeta Metroid

Postby Opium » 09.13.10 2:06pm

Then by all means, please clarify. Because I sure as heck don't see anything to make me believe that you are fed up at all with how nasty some people have been in their reactions to those who don't like the game - questioning their sanity, asking them if they're stupid or blind, etc. Your frustration is biased, one sided, and nowhere near being neutral at all. That's what I'm seeing, and if it's some wrong assumption that I have jumped to then tell me.

mental

Ridley

Postby mental » 09.13.10 2:10pm

I have to second this. The way you worded it really comes across like you're just asking people to report posters that are just "too negative". Maybe some people really don't like the game?
"The world will always be more delicious than it is useful." - Robert Capon

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 09.13.10 2:15pm

Who says I had to be neutral? This is an internet forum. It isn't a democracy and we're not putting people on trial. As my first post said:

"I also ask that you back up why you're making the report with some substantial evidence or else it will go unnoticed."

If someone just clicks REPORT for an opinionated post that they don't agree with, I'm most likely not going to do anything, and possibly warn the user for misusing the REPORT button. The point of making this post is to curb the negativity a little. It's all that seems to be happening in this forum, and I have more than enough right to tell people to cut it out. So what if it's biased?

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 09.13.10 2:18pm

I have yet to play the game so could someone tell me why there is so much negativity about Other M?
Whats so bad about the game? I also keep clear of all other M topics as I do not want to get spoiled to much.
2 more weeks...2 more weeks...

VGM out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

mental

Ridley

Postby mental » 09.13.10 2:30pm

I have yet to play the game so could someone tell me why there is so much negativity about Other M?
That's difficult to do without spoilers, really -- most people who are upset with the game are upset with the story (plotting, characterization, etc...) and/or its presentation.

I think almost everyone is at very least reasonably happy with gameplay, maybe a few people would have liked more sequence-breaking/backtracking opportunity, and there were a few things like the first-person "hunt the clue" segments that didn't work out very well, but for the most part there hasn't really been a huge outcry about gameplay elements.

Beyond this, though, the good and the bad of the game is material for other threads than this one.

PrimeTime90

Alpha Metroid

Postby PrimeTime90 » 09.13.10 2:44pm

Can we report overt positivity too? "OMG METROID: OTHER M BEST GAME EVER I LOVE IT SO MUCH SO DAMN BRILLIANT I TOTALLY CRIED WHEN BLAH BLAH BLAH"

How is that any better than complaining? If someone has an opinion, something they can support with arguments and be articulate about it, they should be able to say it, positive, negative, or otherwise.

If everybody had the same opinions, it'd be a really boring message board.

Plas Durock

Omega Metroid

Postby Plas Durock » 09.13.10 2:50pm

It was pretty obvious before the game came out that it would be really a polarizing one. Some people love the game, and some people honestly don't, as I see it, most people though are hanging around in the gray area.

As much negatively as there has been, I've only really seen one true case where it's gone into the relm of trolling here.

And yes, I'm one of the people who have said some negative things about the game. I do like the game, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to notice it's flaws and not want to talk about them, same applies to the things I like. What's the point of a forum if you don't discuss things. That goes for both sides of the fence.

Yeah, it's like mental said, most of it is regarding the plot, some scenarios, etc. and would be pretty spoiler-rific.

Edit: I can only imagine that Prime and Fusion were polarizing too?
Last edited by Plas Durock on 09.13.10 2:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samus - She's the only woman I'll ever love.

ddddd

Gamma Metroid

Postby ddddd » 09.13.10 2:51pm

This also aplies to the other games?

Opium

Zeta Metroid

Postby Opium » 09.13.10 3:00pm

Who says I had to be neutral? This is an internet forum. It isn't a democracy and we're not putting people on trial. As my first post said:

"I also ask that you back up why you're making the report with some substantial evidence or else it will go unnoticed."

If someone just clicks REPORT for an opinionated post that they don't agree with, I'm most likely not going to do anything, and possibly warn the user for misusing the REPORT button. The point of making this post is to curb the negativity a little. It's all that seems to be happening in this forum, and I have more than enough right to tell people to cut it out. So what if it's biased?
I agree and understand that you have every right to be biased. You can do whatever you want, even ban people for any reason you want. I just kinda said 'Good luck with that' because it has been my experience as manager/leader that this a bad approach which leads to crappy consequences, but like I said, it's your right.
I just kinda wish you would ask yourself if the emotions you have in response to opposing views on the game could possibly be affecting your decision making in a negative way.
I really don't know you so I have no idea how or even if my take on it means anything, for all I know you could be wanting me to fuck off and die at this point. I'm just saying what I think and the purpose for doing so is not meant to offend, sorry if it does though.

mental

Ridley

Postby mental » 09.13.10 3:01pm

I was in fandom (not here, specifically, but around) when they came out. Nothing like this.

Plas Durock

Omega Metroid

Postby Plas Durock » 09.13.10 3:05pm

Wow, really? I remember before prime came out there was a petition attempt to stop it or something. o.o

So Other:M really is the most polarizing game in the series?
Samus - She's the only woman I'll ever love.

Opium

Zeta Metroid

Postby Opium » 09.13.10 3:07pm

I was there when they came out. Nothing like this.
I can back up that statement. There has not been anything quite like this. This has been more divisive than anything before it. There are plenty of good reviews out there, but there also has never been so many bad reviews before.

Hunters is the only thing I can think of which comes close, but much of the crap about that game seemed to just kind of be brushed aside. My personal opinion for the reason for this is that it wasn't a major console game but more like a little side project that was like a take-it-or-leave-it game that really wasn't that significant to the series.

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M