Nintendo Switch

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
Remnants

Metroid Queen

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby Remnants » 05.01.17 12:18pm

So, how are the problems with the Nintendo Switch faring? Been hearing about software crashes, tablet screen scratching, motion controls malfunctioning, tablet warping. Seems like everything is going wrong with this console.

Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 05.01.17 12:27pm

No idea what you are talking about, mine has been working perfectly since I got it in march, no scratches, no major errors , no real issues for the most part, then again I actually take care of my game consoles..

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 05.01.17 10:15pm

Apart from screen scratches, I haven't really been hearing about these sorts of things. I get the impression that the numbers have to be pretty low. Are all of these things happening? I'd basically guarantee it. Are people having more than one of these things happen to their specific Switch? Very few. Anything I've heard so far suggests that the Switch is no more or less reliable than a typical early-production console.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 05.02.17 1:24pm

yeah mine works fine, sometimes sleep mode causes a weird glitch or two but restarting it always fixes it

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 05.03.17 12:42pm

Screen scratching was linked to specific docks that were bent inwards, pinching the Switch tablet when docked. That problem didn't seem widespread and could be solved by gently bending the dock plastic in the opposite direction. Other screen durability issues I'm not aware of. The dock itself has been heavily criticized for its lackluster craftsmanship considering it's little more than a mostly empty $90 USD plastic shell. Haven't heard anything on Nintendo addressing those concerns, and they most likely won't until a future revision, if ever there is one. At least there are third party alternative offering full functionality at a fraction of the official cost.

General Joycon instability was linked less to poor hardware as improper placement of the wireless communication antenna with the controllers. This predominately affected left Joycons, but anecdotal evidence suggest either device could suffer the same problem. Nintendo seems to have addressed this issue moving forward by including a small piece of non-conductive insulating foam, but it'll be difficult to tell definitively until more second wave systems are in the wild. I've also heard reports of motion control malfunctions but they've been few and far between.

Anything else I don't know enough to comment on, but all told the Switch doesn't seem to of had a particularly problematic launch. I'd be willing to bet good money that initial production faults combined fall well within typical defect parameters for comparable consumer electronic devices. I wouldn't let the small chance of a minor problem put you off of buying a console. It'd be far more reasonable to hold off as there's still not much to do with a Switch. Wait 'til the holidays when the market's flush with systems, and hopefully by that point games as well.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 06.02.17 5:17pm

Japan Expo Reveals Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle for Nintendo Switch, Then Deletes Tweet

I'm sure everyone saw the rumors/leaks, and it's seeming more likely. It's a shame that Rayman seems so dead that they didn't just make a Rayman crossover instead. I doubt the game will be terrible, it's a RPG after all, but man everything about it seems mega cringe with the usual Ubisoft "humor".
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

newhenpal

Alpha Metroid

Postby newhenpal » 06.07.17 8:36pm

I wasn't even aware that the Rabbids were still popular enough to warrant a crossover with anything, let alone Mario. Are they even still popular? I've always associated them with the heady early years of the Wii, when minigame collections were all the rage. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw their faces... 2011-2012, maybe?

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 06.07.17 11:33pm

I think people liked the Wii game, otherwise most seem to see them as an abomination so it surprises me that they are still seemingly popular.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 06.08.17 9:16am

This is basically proof that Nintendo is willing to partner with nearly anyone for almost anything, if the money's right, presumably. That could go very poorly in future. It could also mean they're now more open to outsourcing existing and long dormant properties to third parties to better flesh out their catalog. Nintendo has been far more keen on partnering these past years. Hopefully this is just a low point along an otherwise stellar trajectory.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.08.17 3:31pm

I played the first two Rabbids games on Wii. I thought they were a lot of fun, especially the second one. They weren't really obnoxious at all, and were actually pretty funny. I can't speak for the following games, though.

All I know about this new one is that apparently the gameplay is going to be like X-Com or something. If Mario x Rabbids turns out to be an X-Com clone, that'd be pretty awesome, in my opinion. If only for the fact that we can say "A Mario and Rabbids crossover X-Com clone exists."

In other news, Axiom Verge is coming to the Switch:

Which is great, because while I knew this game is an excellent Metroidvania, I don't like playing "inspired by" games too much, e.g. Mighty No. 9, just because it makes me wish it was the thing it was inspired by instead. But the Nintendo Switch has magically gotten me interested in playing games I'd never think of playing before (I've identified 18 different Switch games coming this year that I want to own, including Nintendo games), so now I'm looking forward to Axiom Verge. Although it's apparently $10 more than on other platforms, so... Hm.

Speaking of magically getting interested in games, here's one that sold me in 55 seconds: Golf Story

"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion